If you've been on a diet for some time now...or really even just a week, I'm sure you've been missing your favorite go-to indulgent food. For me, pizza is definitely my go-to guilty pleasure. Why should you have to feel guilty though for eating foods you love? Losing weight, getting leaner, and building muscle are all about changing your lifestyle. We're not asking that you completely give up your favorite foods, but maybe try experimenting with healthier alternatives.
You'd be amazed to learn how many recipes can be modified to cut down on hundreds of calories! Here is a delicious alternative to traditional pizza. The base is made of zucchini and it's topped off with crunchy vegetables and creamy vegan cheese.
MAKES 6 SLICES
Prep Time: 20 Minutes | Total Time: 25 Minutes
- 2 cups shredded zucchini (1 to 1-1/2), squeezed dry
- 1/2 cup egg substitute or 1/4 cup of egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 - 1/2 cups of vegan cheese
- 2 small tomatoes, halved and sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup julienned bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- Chopped fresh basil
1. Preheat oven to 450°. Combine zucchini, egg, almond flour, and salt in a medium bowl. Stir in 3/4 cup of vegan cheese.
2. Spray a 12" pizza tray with non-stick, zero-calorie cooking spray. Transfer zucchini mixture to pizza tray and spread to an 11"circle. Bake until golden brown (13-16 minutes). Turn oven down to 400°, sprinkle pizza with remaining cheese then top with tomatoes, onion, pepper, herbs.
3. Bake until edges are golden brown and cheese is melted (10-15 minutes). Sprinkle with chopped fresh basil. Cut pizza and enjoy!