Ceviche is a delicious meal consisting of fresh fish cured with lime juice, combined with cilantro, cucumber, and tomato which can be served in a variety of ways. Serve either in soft tortilla wraps, in a coconut bowl or, if you're on the Smart for Life Program, simply in a bowl or lettuce wrap. This recipe is low-carb, gluten-free, and low-fat making it the perfect healthy appetizer to whip up for your family or dinner guests.
Total Time: 30 Minutes
- 1/2 red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 pound fresh fish- sea bass, red snapper, corvina, dorado, mahi-mahi, tilapia, or hamachi - diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2-3 garlic cloves, very finely minced
- 1 - 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, first start with 1 then add more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4-1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 fresh serrano or jalapeno chili pepper seeded, very finely chopped. Start conservatively, add more to taste
- 3/4 cup fresh lime juice (4-6 limes) freshly squeezed (try to use ripe limes)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half or 1 cup diced tomato
- 1 cucumber, diced
Optional Avocado Sauce (not recommended on Smart for Life Program):
- 2/3 cup avocado
- 1/3 cup cilantro
- 2/3 cup water, plus more if needed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/8 cup lime juice
- 2 garlic cloves
- Cracked pepper
- Slice and salt the red onion. Let stand 15 minutes until it begins to release its liquids. This helps remove bitterness. Then rinse well.
- Put fish, garlic, onion, salt, pepper, fresh chilies and lime juice in a small serving bowl, mix gently then let marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. The longer you marinate the fish, the firmer it will become.
- Just before serving, add cilantro, cucumber, and tomato and gently mix. Taste for salt and add more if need be.
To make avocado sauce: blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth, adding a bit more water if needed.
Click here to shop our delectable protein bars. They're gluten-free, NON-GMO, low sugar and contain no sucralose!